Friday, April 19, 2013

Updated---Speaking To High School Students At My Alma Mater



FLY FISHING---WHERE THERE ARE NO BAILOUTS----ONLY FAILURE, FRUSTRATION UPON FRUSTRATION, WAITING, PATIENCE then often losing the big one again and again until one day, you net him for a brief  second, then let him go to fight and thrill someone else again.  Here I am fishing at the head of Orvis's private waters in Wyoming and everything worked for a fabulous round-of--fishing and applause. (In truth, it was easy water, unlike my daily much harder routine) Most of the time it doesn't happen that way!  Then it's back to patience and learning from my mistakes---which are myriad---in the school of hard knocks and mud under your toe and fingernails worthy of an auto mechanic on a daily basis, truly.  I wouldn't have it any other way! 


UPDATE: TEARED UP AS WE SANG OUR SCHOOL ANTHEM TODAY AT ST. CATHERINES. So beautiful and rich and much more poignant with all that's going on up the East Coast right now, as radical Islam strikes again. May God be with and help us all.
 
GIVING THREE LECTURES TODAY AT CAREER DAY HELD AT MY HIGH SCHOOL ALMA MATER in Richmond, Virginia. Will be talking about my second career of becoming a fly fishing guide in Jackson Hole, Wyoming.
How do you speak to young women about such incredible Grace and luck that would whisk me out of a big city and plop me down in the most beautiful wilderness area in the world to work and play and live? Can I adequately tell of all the interesting, talented people I've met along the way?  Or what I've learned, often the hard way? I can only relate what happened to me after a divorce and getting my children mostly grown.  Can only assure them it was not my doing but a Higher Plan I surrendered to--- not without a struggle, I might add.  T'was never my dream when I was younger. But life happens when we least expect it. And the rest is history and gratitude, gratitude, grantitude.

6 comments:

Tregonsee said...

Those who have been touched by Him can't help but feel that God's Personnel Department must be a VERY strange place. :)

Webutante said...

Indeed.

Caryl said...

I am sure that you were an inspiration to the audience.

Webutante said...

It was great fun, 2E! Thanks for your kind words. Miss you!

mRed said...

That is wonderful!

Webutante said...

Thanks mRed! It was a terrific time!