Thursday, June 14, 2012

Notes From the Road, 1

JON STEWART RIPS SENATORS FOR GOING TOO EASY ON JP MORGAN'S JAMIE DIMON

I FIGURE I'VE CROSSED THE COUNTRY FROM TENNESSEE TO WYOMING AND BACK over 40 times in the last few decades. That's truck driver material!

It's a drive I love and have grown comfortable with. Over the years, it's gotten easier because the exits and rest stops are better serviced, the bathrooms cleaner, the cell phone networks have more coverage and people seem to be nicer. I take a cooler of great, healthy low-carb food and good water and coffee to keep me focused and energized. I've found wonderful hikes near I-70 to get a good workout---like the Katy Trail along the Missouri River near Rocheport, MO. And in summertime, the weather is usually conducive to zipping cross-country.

So what's not to like?

In all my trips through the heartland, rarely have I been sick. I look back in amazement at how easy it's really been. Not effortless, but relatively easy.

Until this trip. From start to the partial finish, I've felt sicker than dirt and what's usually a breeze has been much more of an ordeal.

Looking back, I've dragged around for the past several weeks too busy to do more than occasionally wonder where my normally high energy has gone. I wrote it off to southern heat and humidity. I never stopped to consider that I was under the influence of a dreaded sinus infection that is subtle beyond belief and oh so debilitating.

In spite of feeling bad, I've pushed myself for weeks with little energy to answer emails and phone calls, get together with friends etc. I've gone to bed early and slept far later than my normal 5 am wake-up.I've had no chills or fever or nasal congestion. Just tightness in my head and absolutely NO energy or enthusiasm. At times I've had major aches and pains.

After saying my goodbyes and pushing myself to get off late Tuesday afternoon, I drove to St. Charles, MO and stopped for the night. Wednesday morning I awoke sick and exhausted beyond words. I tried to amp myself up with strong coffee on an empty stomach---all to no avail.

Suddenly it dawned on me: I have a dreadful sinus infection and need to see a doctor and get treated----NOW!

What do you do when your traveling, sick and need help in a strange place where you know not a soul and your doctor back home is on vacation?

I'm here to say there's a terrific answer which I'm going to tell you about in my Notes from the Road, 2. For now, going to bed here in Boulder knowing I'm finally on the slow mend. More on the greatest new addition to traveling in the U.S. when sick that I'm so glad I've discovered and want to share with you.

2 comments: