Saturday, July 30, 2011

Back In the Land.....



WHERE I BELONG

AFTER DRIVING 840 MILES since yesterday morning----from San Rafael, California through Evanston, Wyoming and on to Daniel Junction this morning--- I decided to stop at the highway junction store (Wy 189 and 191) before driving the last 65 miles north through the Hoback Canyon to Jackson. It's a perfect place for a quick bathroom break and also a place to reward myself for making this gargantuan drive. Like the down home feel of the Cracker Barrel, this store gets you in the mood for the part of the country you're really in.

Anyway, after my first order of business, I walked along the grocery shelves and spied my long distance driving reward: a jar of Jiffy Peanut Butter. I bought and paid for it, then found a plastic knife and napkin. With these and a cup of ice in hand, I returned to my car and proceeded to eat the peanut butter out of the jar with the knife until I had had quite enough, thank you very much. While my mother and grandmothers were twirling in their graves, I decided it was a much better than downing a pint of Scotch from the aisle next to the peanut butter and Vienna sausages. I did not make a spectacle of myself and did this in the privacy of my own car. Let's face it, after being in chicy Marin since last Monday, I figured eating Jiffy, parked in front of the Daniel Store was just what the doctor ordered to re-acclimatize me to the Old West I was coming back into. It's good to be home again. I'm on my way to sleeping off the peanut butter binge tonight logging at least 12-14 hours of much needed sleep!

2 comments:

mRed said...

Not to nitpick, but was it was chunky style? I like chunky style. Sometimes with an Asiago cracker. Odd, but good. Preferably not in front of a cowboy unless it is a survival thing.

Webutante said...

I'm with you mRed: Chunky rules! But the Daniel store had a slim selection consisting of only smooth....