Monday, January 5, 2009

Chapters and Changes

IT WAS ONLY A MATTER OF TIME. But now it's finally has happened, and probably won't be back anytime soon. It's the Bursting of the Boob Job Bubble, along with the rest of the commodities markets. First there was the collapse of big housing, followed by big gold, steel, oil and gas, and now, gentle reader, the unthinkable has happened: the economy is taking out the market for big boob jobs. Saline, silicon, you name it, as a new round of layoffs is threatening to reduce the plastic industry to botox injections, eyebrow tweezering and tattoo removal procedures. Most plastic surgeons report their business is down 25-50%. What an amazing turn of events. Whatever will burst next? Is anything left?

*********

GIVING NEW meaning to the phrase dangling participle: And another reason I have zero interest in going to the slopes soon (I prefer staying close to the ground by xc-ing). Clearly this will not be the highpoint of this man's life, nor winter ski experience. But mercifully he survived, only a little worse for the, er, over-exposure. It's not funny so don't--do not--laugh. And one last thing. This man and his lawyers will soon be the new owners of this Vail ski resort.

UPDATE: Why does the New York Times shamefully love Hamas?

For several months, and actually more, I've considered taking a writing vacation. While I've managed to do it for a day or two, that's been the extent to date. It's cause I love, love, love to write here.

But more and more I feel real winds of change in my life and I'm not yet sure where they're taking me. I must confess, continuing to write about politics fails me to motivate in the slightest at this point. I sense I've said all I have to say for now. In many ways, I feel this trip on the Web both writing and reading others' writing, wonderful as it is, has become an increasingly distraction. Interesting, but still a distration. Then last Sunday, I heard a sermon at McLean Bible Church on letting go of those things which, while neither good nor bad, seem to take away time and energy from the things you need to be doing more. I felt the words pierce my heart. I'm beginning to feel much is redundant and my time can better be directed elsewhere. It won't be easy to pull back this after these several years of writing almost daily.

So for a little while, I'm going to write only intermittently until I decide what to do and if and when to do it. There's a real chance I'll stop for a while and start up again in a very different direction with new subject matter. There's also a chance I'll stop entirely. New chapters can be tricky and messy with fits and starts.






In all events, I will post occasionally in January and into mid-February and see where this all takes me. I don't want to burn any bridges. At the same time I don't want to deny my deep sense that a new chapter seems to be unfolding for me on several fronts and I'm being called away from the amount of time I've spent on the computer in the past few years.

Speaking of burning bridges: Taken in China, the Fuijiang River bridge---built in 1971-- was demolished Monday. WSJ Photos.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

It will be a very sad day if you discontinue writing. You give us brilliant prose, much of it obviously heartfelt. Although I agree with little of your rightwing bombast, you're at least an entertaining wing of that rabble. You're at the top of your game, however, when you talk fishing in beautiful Wyoming. Tight lines.

mRed said...

They say when one door closes another opens. If this one is closing, please let us that have had the privelege of getting to know you, know how you are and where you are heading.

All good journeys have a sense of mystery.

Webutante said...

Thank you both for your fore- and back-handed compliments....I doubt that I'll stop writing here entirely cause I love it too much, but merely drop back to several posts a week. Right now I have grandmothering (I'm just back in NYC for two days) on my mind and deeper time in spiritual matters that will give me less time on the computer....so will see how it all shakes out. Thanks again.

sherry said...

I lurk and read your blog, rarely comment, but oh so appreciate your take on 'things'. I hope you'll continue. If you move to a new blog location, please let folks know - we'll follow. :o)

As to the skier, shrinkage happens. Just had to say it hehe. Seriously though, I believe we've (generally speaking) become a sue-happy society. Here's for hoping he doesn't sue the ski resort.

As to the New York Slimes loving Hamas, I do believe they've gone the way of Jimmah Carter in never meeting a terrorist they didn't like. sigh. What's really sad is that people have become sheeple and believe whatever the Slimes dish out. argh.

Webutante said...

Thank you for your comment, Lady Jane. For the record, hope I hope also the skier doesn't sue. We can't make the world accident and failure-free and he has some responsibility in it all too.

Plan to pick back up writing a little. Have to say the peace and quiet of this early time of year, I greatly value.

Unknown said...

Web, I love your sense of humor and your intelligence! The "dangling participle" certainly brought laughter! Poor guy must have felt so humiliated!

If you leave here, will you please email me once in awhile as you have done in the past? I would hate to lose you!!

Anonymous said...

Here's something to think about: You think you are are doing something that takes a lot of time and energy, that is neither good or bad, that is distracting and time could be better directed.

I beg to differ. Why do I come back here every week? Because there are very few places I feel I can go that covers politics with a Christian perspective. Sometimes you have helped me either realign my thinking or reminded me of what is most important. Christ. Do you think I am the only one? Do you think that is unimportant? I can think of nothing higher in purpose than providing community and understanding that is Christ centered. I am not the best writer, so I am unable to really get my point across, but I hope you get the feel for it.

That said, your pastor's message tugged at you for a reason. Always best to investigate that. To pray about that.


Just know that your blogging is a "labor in the service of God" (see your OWN post above) and is certainly not dead works or wanderings. But is it the BEST use? Could you serve Christ in another way that would be more pleasing? Are you being so depleted that you are an ineffective servant?

Post every day - I will read it. Post once a week - I will read it. Post once a month - I will read it. You get the picture.

I will keep you in my prayers... asking Christ to help you find the answer.

Whatever you decide, I am sure it will be the correct one.

Zoe - and whatever else I have called myself here. Real name (Shannan)

Webutante said...

Shannan, Thank you for your encouragement. It is now a while out from that post and I am also back in Tennessee and off the East coast and have caught up on sleep and exercise.

I intend to continue but don't want to spend quite so much time on the computer in 2009. So I will be praying for guidance and also what to write about as my inner life continues to change by the Grace of God. Hopefully that will be reflected in what I write.

Appreciate your comments and input, it always helps me to get feedback, postive and negative.

God bless.