Sunday, December 9, 2007

Sunday, Advent


Note: I had intended posting another vignette today from C. S. Lewis' The Great Divorce, but have stashed the book somewhere and can't find it. However, when I do uncover it, I plan to feature the grand finale nearer to Christmas. I hide things from myself, I suppose, to entertain and frustrate myself, all at the same time!

************
Advent, the four weeks before Christmas, is one of my favorite times of the year. It is also one of my most challenging, as days shorten and distractions multiple ad infinitum. Both joys and sorrows seem magnified as our existential loneliness and longings often come to the forefront of our emotional and spiritual lives.

It's easy, so easy, to take quick fixes which promise to bring relief to the anxious soul. The temptations of too much food, alcohol, sex, spending, and of course a zillion distractions and rampant materialism have never been so abundant or compelling. Those of us who have lived through enough of these cycles know quick fixes are a chimera and often lead us into deeper long-term. We don't have to do so many quick fixes....this will slowly pass.

If only we could take some time, as we wait to celebrate the birth of the Hope of the World--the Christ Child, to be still. To be quiet. To reflect on our blessings. To repent of our sins. To learn from our mistakes. To pray for others. To ask forgiveness. To reach out in appropriate goodwill. To grow a little emotionally and spiritually. To sit still and alone and be content.

God speaks to us in silence as well as his Word. Quietness is a discipline and a virtue.

Advent is also a wonderful, rich time to---in the silence and stillness of our aloneness---to humbly ask Christ to reveal himself to us in our lives and hearts. If we continue to ask with sincerity and humility, He will eventually answer.

May God help us all to grow closer to Him and His Son during this mysterious time of year.

************

Yesterday, my greatly loved son in New York called to tell me he has just become engaged to a wonderful woman whom I already love dearly. I'm so happy for them! I pray this is for life. God bless them and their life together and protect and guide them in all things. Needless to say, I'm thrilled!

***********

A wonderful, inspirational, preposterous fable for our times. Love lost, love found and magnified. Reviews weren't particularly good (and yes, I know Roger would eject this one!), but I still enjoyed it immensely. It's a woman thing... See this movie alone or with loved ones! And take the children too. Sweet fantasy tied together with music of every ilk.

6 comments:

Rita Loca said...

Congrats on your son's engagement. it is so nice to already know and love the intended!

Anonymous said...

Indeed.

Anonymous said...

So happy for our son. These are exciting times!

Anonymous said...

Yes, W, it's so true. J

Doc said...

I always have mixed feelings on Advent. I love the season, the joyful anticipation. It's much different for me as an adult than it was as a child.

But my wife freaks out at this time about Christmas gifts.

Next year I'm just getting everyone $10 to iTunes. No shipping necessary, and less of a headache for my wife.

Anonymous said...

I totally can track with your wife, doc! I am in freak mode right now too....